Some of the foundations of the Province of Catalonia are among the oldest in the Order. The early history of what is now the Province, involving Southern France, Northern Spain and the Balearic Islands, reflects the complicated political situation of the time. In 1336 the Vicariate of Perpignan was erected from the Province of Spain, also called Aragon. In 1339 it appears as the Vicariate of Perpignan and Majorca. In 1342 it was raised to the status of Province with the name Majorca; from 1354 it bore its present name. Together with the other houses in Spain, the Province was suppressed by the secular authorities in 1835.
In modern times Catalan Carmelites had an important part in the restoration of the Order in Spain: Palma de Mallorca (1875), Onda (1879), Jerez de la Frontera (1880). The Province of Spain was reinstated in 1890 and with the restoration and foundation of convents in other parts and was once more divided into the traditional Provinces. In 1932 the Commissariat General of Catalonia was separated from the Province of Arago-Valentine; in 1950 it once again became a Province.
The Province of Catalonia assisted in the restoration of the Order's Provinces in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro, Bahia, Pernambuco), in Poland and in France.
At present the Province of Catalonia has about 40 religious working in Catalonia (Spain), United States, Venezuela, Kenya, Italy and France.
For further information: Province of Catalonia
C/ S. Hermenegild, 13
Fax 93-4 144723